The Urban Design Forum seeks a full-time Development and Communications Associate. We’re searching for an early-career professional excited to join a small, fast-paced team. Under the guidance of the Executive Director and in coordination with program staff, you will produce all organizational communications, coordinate membership development and major giving efforts, and assist with administrative tasks and special projects.
This is a work-from-home position, pending further guidance from New York City health officials about returning safely to work. Check-ins with Urban Design Forum staff are required throughout the day.
About the Urban Design Forum
We are an independent membership organization that advances bold solutions to urban challenges. Our programs are guided by the following values:
- We believe the design and development communities must address enduring injustices in New York City, such as housing segregation, economic inequality, and environmental racism.
- We believe New York should learn from international cities for pioneering and inspiring solutions to urban challenges.
- We believe creating interdisciplinary cohorts of emerging leaders can empower more diverse civic leadership.
- We believe government agencies should develop a long-term vision for the built environment, rather than achieve short-term wins.
- We believe decision-makers must build with, and not for, traditionally disenfranchised communities–such as women, BIPOC, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities.
- We believe the public should be mobilized around the value of design in achieving equity, inclusion, and sustainability in the built environment.
- Development Management – Assists Executive Director with annual fundraising plans, proposes and cultivates new development prospects, prepares meeting briefs, and tracks contributions.
- Major Giving Programs – Coordinates annual fundraising events and oversees individual giving program by organizing monthly events with distinguished civic leaders.
- Membership Development – Researches prospective members, coordinates annual renewals, drafts invitation letters, and maintains the membership database.
- Grant Management – Identify potential grants to fund programs and general operating expenses, assists Executive Director in submissions and deadline management.
- Community Outreach – Liaises with Urban Design Forum members.
- Communications Strategy – Develops a digital communications strategy with program and executive staff.
- External Communications – Writes and edits newsletters, invitations, press releases, presentations, web and social media content, and other communications.
- Special Projects – Assists with scheduling, administrative tasks, and special projects as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Design Criticism, Communications, Urban Planning, Public Policy, Architecture, or a related field and 1-2 years of relevant work experience; or a Master’s Degree.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Experience in membership, fundraising, grant writing is a plus.
- Experience in strategic and/or digital communications is a plus.
- Experience in event production and program management is a plus.
- Familiarity in Adobe Creative Suite is a plus.
- Deep interest in urban planning and policy, architecture, landscape architecture, real estate development, or related fields.
Salary and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary based on experience, competitive benefits package (health, dental and vision), and generous leave policies.How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Development and Communications Associate” in the subject line. Applications are due by Wednesday, July 15 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Forum is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and retaining a talented and diverse team of professionals committed to building a more equitable city. Women, BIPOC, LGBTQ people, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.