Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum seeks experienced, enthusiastic part-time educators. https://www.cooperhewitt.org/careers/design-field-trip-educator-contractor/?utm_source=Words+of+Mouth&utm_campaign=3423988bb5-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_07_05_05_03&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d4310f52d6-3423988bb5-242877337
ABOUT DESIGN FIELD TRIPS
Cooper Hewitt offers free, dynamic educational programs for K–12 school groups. Our immersive learning experience is designed to align with city, state, and national learning standards. Drawing upon the museum’s exhibitions, design educators facilitate thoughtful discussions and activities focused on the process of design thinking. We empower students to view the world optimistically through the lens of design and to improve it by honing their design thinking abilities.
The Design Field Trip (DFT) experience is a 90-minute object exploration + workshop (for 15-30 students). In the workshop, students learn about the design process and build connections to objects in Cooper Hewitt’s collection. This program fosters a deeper understanding of brainstorming techniques, empathy, and collaboration. Each DFT will expand students’ awareness of design and cultivate design-thinking competencies.
The Pre-visit prepares students for their Design Field Trip by taking them through a design case-study and related hands-on activity in their classroom. This program enhances the museum experience by preparing students with key design concepts that will be further explored in the on-site Design Field Trip.
ABOUT THE POSITION
As part of a team of educators and museum staff, you will facilitate virtual, *on-site and off-site field trip programs for K-12 student groups of all needs and abilities and contribute to the development of online resources, lessons and activities. Educators will work closely with the Manager of Exposure Programs to develop Smithsonian, Learning Lab collections, implement curriculum, provide feedback, attend trainings and meetings, and other duties as assigned.
Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in leading programs by serving as an educator contractor.
*We are closely monitoring the guidance of the CDC and local public health officials to determine if and when we can safely enter schools to facilitate pre-visit workshops and on-site museum visits.
POSITION TECH REQUIREMENTS
- Access to a personal computer with a camera
- High speed internet
- Zoom accounts are required
- Bachelor’s degree in art or design, education, museum studies or related field
- Flexible work schedule and the ability to work at least 2-3 programs per week between October – June.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working with K-12 students
- Ability to travel within the 5 boroughs (contingent on Smithsonian Institution and NYC Department of Education safety protocols and guidelines)
- Experience in art or design education, including curriculum development and hands-on teaching
- Experience with object-based learning
- Flexibility and ability to quickly assess the needs of a situation, including group management and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and collaborate creatively
- Desire to work with and inspire children through the medium of design
- Strong communication and customer service skills
- Spanish/English bilingual skills a plus
- Experience with Adobe InDesign a plus
$200 per 90-minute field trip on-site at Cooper Hewitt and virtual field trip facilitated from your home and/or Cooper Hewitt campus.
$125 per pre-visit workshop in all 5 boroughs.
Rates include set-up, clean-up and travel time. Any required training sessions or meeting attendance is $25 per hour.
HOW TO APPLY
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “Design Field Trip Educator” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Please submit the following:
- Letter in which you describe what excites and interests you about this position, and how your past experiences would make you a strong Design Field Trip educator.
- Two professional references who can speak to your ability to work with and inspire young people
- Sample design-related activity for kids. Related student images are a plus.